Contrary to the title of the blog (kc-climbs), I am putting more than just climbs. I am putting weekend hobbies ... Climbs, hikes, Fun brew news, and other exciting or not so exciting excursions. I'm trying to organize trip reports, recipes, etc. on the right. Please leave comments as I love reading them!

Friday, May 8, 2009

Belgian Wit

With the kegs getting tapped, gotta brew to keep the brews flowing. Just did another spring time beer - A beglian wit. Again, lower alcohol but plenty of fruity flavors. I've never made one before so I didn't venture too far away from known protocols. I based the recipe on a Hoegaarden clone. Target 1.045 with an 80% efficiency.

For beer geeks: 3.6# Belg pils, 3.25# unmalted wheat, 0.3# malted wheat, 0.25# aromatic malt, 0.75#flaked wheat, 0.75# Flaked oats, 0.5# crystal 40, 0.25# honey malt. Step mach, at 122 for 30 min raise to 154 for 60 min, mash out 170. Boil schedule: 90 minute boil; 60 min 0.825 oz halertau 6.2%, 15 min 3/4 t coriander, peel from 1 orange, and 0.25t grains of paradise; 5 min 3/4 t coriander, peel from 1 orange, and 0.25t grains of paradise. Chill and pitch with 3944 Belgian wit --- started for a couple of days. OG 1.044, but i think i might have gotten 6 gallons???

So I had an early soccer game and brewed before it. I set the water out and grains out the night before so all I had to do was turn on the stove to be ready to go. I amazingly finished in about 4 hours even with the extra mash infusion and longish boil. Good brew day and excited to test it out.

No comments: