Contrary to the title of the blog (kc-climbs), I am putting more than just climbs. I am putting weekend hobbies ... Climbs, hikes, Fun brew news, and other exciting or not so exciting excursions. I'm trying to organize trip reports, recipes, etc. on the right. Please leave comments as I love reading them!

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Stout Stout Stout

With the post ski beer reserves dwindling (kind of) I wanted to resupply. Attempted to make a dry stout with some extra body and umph, so yeah, not really a dry stout. 10 gallon batch assuming 80% efficiency.

For beer geeks: 10 # marris otter 2 row, 6.5 # canadian 2 row, 0.5# each 40 and 120 crystal, 1 # each flaked barley, flaked wheat, and choc malt, 2# roast barley. Tried something new with the grain. Since I typically get a stuck sparge with that much roast barley, I steeped 1 pound of it separately. During the sparge, after gettting the grain bed set, I added it to the top of the grain bed. --- no stickage in the sparge this time. Mashed at 150. Water 0.25 burton salts/5 gallons. 2.5 oz willamettes in the boil and 2 oz fuggles at 10 minutes. Put the beer right on the 1056 yeast cake from a previous batch.

Unfortunately I only got 9 gallons or so out of the boil (not 11) so the gravity was very high, but the sweet wort was delic! Hopefully there will be a great roasty character left in the final product. ... and bigger is better, right? OG 1.066 (not the 1.055 target I was going for) TG I'll let you know.

So this concluded a massive "catch up on beer" session where I bottled a ginger mead, bottled a plum wine, bottled a russian imperial stout, kegged a rauchbier, racked 2x reds to secondary, kegged an ESB, and brewed 10 (or 9) gallons of a stout all in less than 36 hours. Anyone want to embibe?

1 comment:

kc said...

Just transferred when I did the IPA so I could harvest the yeast. It's at 1.020, has a Really big roasty flavor, and a thick body. It's still fermenting so it will dry up a tad - time will tell how it turns out, but I'm excited.