Contrary to the title of the blog (kc-climbs), I am putting more than just climbs. I am putting weekend hobbies ... Climbs, hikes, Fun brew news, and other exciting or not so exciting excursions. I'm trying to organize trip reports, recipes, etc. on the right. Please leave comments as I love reading them!

Friday, January 30, 2009

IPA 1/30/09

Mike tapped out my IPA so I thought I should start working towards replacing it. Wanted to make a slightly smaller one, after all this is the beer I drink most. A "smaller" version would make mornings easier and be cheaper too boot. Also, tried a new hop varietal - amarillos. Target 1.058 with 78% efficiency in a 10 gallon batch.

for beer geeks. 16.5 #canadian 2 row, 1.5# crystal 40, 2.0# munich light, 1.0# each biscuit malt and flaked barley. Water 1t gypsum/5 gallons. Kettle schedule: 70 minute boil, 60 min 2 oz amarillo (9.5%) and 2 oz Magnum (14.65%), 40 minutes 0.75 oz each amarillo and cascade (6.6%), 20 minutes 0.5 oz each amarillo and cascade, 10 min irich moss, 5 minutes 1 oz amarillo. Chill and pitch directly onto the 1056 yeast slurry from the stout (from previous week).

Pitching so much active yeast let fermentation start instantaneously and by the morning it was spewing out the airlock! I guess that's good and bad. Gave me a chance to smell the fermenting sludge thouhg. Smelled wonderfully - citruses and fruity. Hopefully the grapefruit won't be overpowering! I just had an amarillo hop bomb at the rogue issaquah and it was almost offensive. Time will tell with this one.

OG turned out to be 1.058! Not too often I get that close in a ten gallon batch.... of course I did make 11 gallons instead of the normal miscalc of volume for 9 gallons.

1 comment:

kc said...

Just kegged it. TG 1.015 so about 5.6%ABV. It turned out thinner than normal, not as bitter, and not over the top with the amarillos - I'm happy with it. Although I personally prefer a meatier IPA, but I actually hit what I was aiming for! I went straight from primary because I am lazy and it will be on the tap as soon as it carbonates.