Contrary to the title of the blog (kc-climbs), I am putting more than just climbs. I am putting weekend hobbies ... Climbs, hikes, Fun brew news, and other exciting or not so exciting excursions. I'm trying to organize trip reports, recipes, etc. on the right. Please leave comments as I love reading them!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Leavenworth half marathon/ octoberfest

So I've always wanted to run 2 marathons (anyone can just do one) but I hate running. Good friends from soccer Mike and Dana were planning to run the leavenworth half marathon that coincidentally coincided with octoberfest so they convinced me to tag along for a fun filled weekend! I, without thinking said of course and decided to try my luck running a long distance race.

So the race was spectacular, a relatively easy course (i.e. limited hills) set in beautiful leavenworth (mountain village at low elevation) on a gorgeous fall day. I don't know how I did it (I had trained for all of "a week") but I felt great - I am sure it helped having Mike push and pace me at the beginning, not to mention his company. Anyway, it seemed like we got faster as the race progressed and both set personal bests - sub 100 minutes! of course, mine was my best by definition. I was happy just finishing my first race, and then very pleasantly surprised with the times. Is the seattle marathon next?

For the rest of the weekend we tried to mask the pain with a lot of beer. Of course there was plenty of both. We had a great time with great people drinking the merry night away! Thanks for organizing Mike and Dana! Sorry no pics, but if I find one, I'll post.....

1 comment:

dl004d said...

First you say that "anyone" can run a marathon. Then you brag that you trained for just one week? Why must you mock your non-runner readers?