Contrary to the title of the blog (kc-climbs), I am putting more than just climbs. I am putting weekend hobbies ... Climbs, hikes, Fun brew news, and other exciting or not so exciting excursions. I'm trying to organize trip reports, recipes, etc. on the right. Please leave comments as I love reading them!

Friday, December 14, 2007

Thanksgiving, Nov, 22nd 2007

So "turkey day" was great this year. I have to mention this weekend because of all the great people that came and the great food. So about the people - mom and dad came all the way from Sedona AZ for the weekend, and it marked the 15th week of 6 weeks that they had been traveling so it was nice that they were able to find time. ... Not only that, but they didn't make me pick them up from the airport so I could go to the Band of Horses concert at the showbox - which was incredible as well) Mark and Jamie drove 12 hours from SF just to hang out with us and to share some time with the holidays. Great friends Tom and Erica, and Britta and Tim showed up as well. I doubt that I could have asked for a better group! too bad big sis kari was traveling throughout Ireland.

Regarding the food, it was a "super share" week from my CSA. I normally get a box of food from a local (pseudo-organic) farmer, which I typically can't consume by myself. This week I got more than double that. The task was to try to use it all, as well as all the leftovers from previous boxes. Additionally everyone was bringing sides as well. So mom and I prepped the night before and all morning. And finally the turkey went into the deep fryer, yet another first. Dad and I made a contraption to lower the bird in from afar as to not burn ourselves and let the fryer do it's thing. In the end there were no burns, the carport was still standing (although my dad wasn't convinced things were going to work out when we took the bird out, as seen in the picture), and it was one of the juiciest birds I've ever had.

After gorging on food (early dinner), the afternoon was low key - and it was wonderful to reconnect with everyone in the group, especially those that had traveled from afar. Thanks all for attending!

No comments: