Contrary to the title of the blog (kc-climbs), I am putting more than just climbs. I am putting weekend hobbies ... Climbs, hikes, Fun brew news, and other exciting or not so exciting excursions. I'm trying to organize trip reports, recipes, etc. on the right. Please leave comments as I love reading them!

Monday, January 5, 2009

Heather Ridge

Lucas and I headed out into the bc across from Steven's pass - Heather Ridge. There was pretty much a highway laid in the snow so the going was initially easy. We climbed to the high spot on the ridge (~5450'), had lunch, and dug a pit. The snow was soft powder on what appeared to be styrofoam as far as the shovel dug. Everything appeared to be stable so we skiied down into the back bowls for pretty much my first run of the season. We saw some sweet looking terrain across the valley (pictured on the left during the ascent) towards the west so we skinned up and around the bowl towards it. We finally made it to the open slopes which put us a little on edge (wind loaded and open with a bunch of new snow). We hung out on the ridge for a late afternoon snack (lucas pic'd approaching the rest stop) and had a superb run back into the valley below. The area had about 6-12 inches of light powder on top of a relatively solid base (aka styrofoam). A quick jaunt back to the ridge and down to the parking lot. All in all a great day, but the realization that I am completely out of shape. About 2800' gain and loss for the day. But hopefully this will be the first of many outtings getting me into far better shape!

1 comment:

J said...

Great Blog, I love the pictures ...especially the one starring into the sun. Cool trip reports as well. I look forward to reading some more.