Contrary to the title of the blog (kc-climbs), I am putting more than just climbs. I am putting weekend hobbies ... Climbs, hikes, Fun brew news, and other exciting or not so exciting excursions. I'm trying to organize trip reports, recipes, etc. on the right. Please leave comments as I love reading them!

Friday, July 3, 2009

Hibiscus Mead

I bought 5 gallons of honey from Keith's mom (thanks Lynn!) and have been wanting to do a mead (or 2 or 3 or 4). Ever since Don brought his hibiscus trippel to the homebrew meeting I wanted to try the same with mead. I wanted there to be a significant hibiscus/floral/tart flavor without being too overwhelming (like the ginger in the ginger beer - yum). I settled on about an oz/gallon (dried stuff) - seemed to be the low end of the scale from internet searches.

I assumed 32 GU/lb for the honey. Used ~ 10 # for the 3 gallons targeting about 1.100 gravity. Put 1 t acid blend, 1 t nutrient, and some water in a pot, and the hibiscus above it in a steamer. Steamed for about 15 minutes, and added all of that - flowers and tea, to the fermenter. I topped it to 3 gallons, pitched Lalvin 71B-1122, and let her go.

OG was 1.128 (!!!). Either my honey has more sugar in it or has significant amounts of other things in it to increase the gravity. We'll see how it ferments out - hopefully the yeast are hungry. But it's a gorgeous deep red color right now, hope it stays that way and doesn't darken too much.

Keith, if you're reading, we'll have to get some to your mom (depending on how it turns out)! :-)

No comments: