Contrary to the title of the blog (kc-climbs), I am putting more than just climbs. I am putting weekend hobbies ... Climbs, hikes, Fun brew news, and other exciting or not so exciting excursions. I'm trying to organize trip reports, recipes, etc. on the right. Please leave comments as I love reading them!

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Railroad grade 6/13/10


Headed out to to some spring skiing on Sunday. Weather was supposed to be good and we wanted to do something like Baker. With the crazy spring we're having there was extreme avy warnings for elevations at >7000 feet, especially on volcanoes. So Lucas, Ryan, Kendall, and I headed up to Park Butte, just under the easton glacier to check things out, but not go to high. Upon getting to the trailhead we were one backpack short and I realized that mine was likely sitting at my back door. GDI! Well, I had everything "essential" so we continued and I had an easy day with no weight on my back. We skinned directly from the parking lot, and made it to just under the toe of the easton for lunch. Weather rolled in, so we didn't venture any higher and decided to get some turns in. The snow was just sticky mush and not great skiing. It is just a little ways away from turning to great spring corn, but until then, blah. So after the first run, we decided that the combination of snow and weather was just not the hot ticket, and we decided to call it a day. Total elevation ~2700', not exactly what we were planning, but good to get nonetheless. Hopefully we get it next weekend! :-)
Lucas skinning up towards railroad grade

Mount Baker

Ryan and Kendall ready to ski


1 comment:

gregbeddor said...

Gorgeous... what a nice hike.