Contrary to the title of the blog (kc-climbs), I am putting more than just climbs. I am putting weekend hobbies ... Climbs, hikes, Fun brew news, and other exciting or not so exciting excursions. I'm trying to organize trip reports, recipes, etc. on the right. Please leave comments as I love reading them!

Monday, September 7, 2009

Classic rauchbier

With Labor day weekend still looking gloomy I decided to get my smoker up and going on Sunday and smoke 7.5 pound of vienna malt with some hickory smoke. So hickory might not be the best wood to use, but I thought it would be better than mesquite. I didn't have access to beechwood and I was to lazy to get to the store and find apple/cherry. Plus, this is an experimental beer!

Labor day was brew day, and I supplemented the smoked malt with 3 pounds of munich malt. For beer geeks: mashed at 122 30 minutes, raised to 152 for 60 minutes. mash out at 170. Boiled: 0.5 oz spalt (4.1 %) and 0.5 oz halertau (6.2%) 60 min, and 0.75 oz Halertau 15 min. Pitched Wyeast 2206 (bavarian lager) and fermented at 50 degrees.

The OG was 1.054 - right on target. I didn't think there was a significant sense of smokiness, but Alison assured me there was, and it would really stand out once the sugars go away. I hope she's right ... time will tell. It will take a little while to ferment...

No comments: