Contrary to the title of the blog (kc-climbs), I am putting more than just climbs. I am putting weekend hobbies ... Climbs, hikes, Fun brew news, and other exciting or not so exciting excursions. I'm trying to organize trip reports, recipes, etc. on the right. Please leave comments as I love reading them!

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Lavender Mead

I got back from the climbs early on Saturday so I thought that I'd occupy myself in another way - make some mead. Again this one is with the "solid" wildflower honey that Keith's mom produced, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to process it. Plan was to make three gallons.

I prepped the lavender by steaming 1 ounce in steamer and reserving the lavender liquid from steamer.

Boiled a couple of gallons of water plus yeast nutrient/acid blend. Chilled it down to 140 or so. Started adding the honey until the refractometer gave me the right reading. diluted to 3 gallons. Chilled to 75, added the lavender and its water, and voila! Throw in a carboy and pitched Lalvin 71B-1122.

Hydrometer read 1.103 at room temp. Much better! :-) Now I just hope that it ferments down.

If it doesn't turn out, at least the house smelled AMAZING for an afternoon.

No comments: